Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A council or assembly.
- ‘It is also our policy at the parishad to take art closer to the common man.’
- ‘They said they were here on the invitation of the Institute of Social Sciences, Delhi, and would study the three-tier local bodies system, including Panchayti Raj, block samitis and zila parishads.’
- ‘But it does the zilla parishad chief no harm locally.’
- ‘Mr Harish Gupta, president of the parishad, exhorted the gathering to educate the new generation about ancient Indian values and culture.’
- ‘The country is divided into four divisions, twenty districts, subdistricts, union parishads, and villages.’
From Sanskrit, from pari around + sad- sit.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.