Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The administrative body in a civil parish.
- ‘The clerk of the council is seeking advice on where the parish council stands.’
- ‘If a parish council is supported, then Conservatives will no doubt lead the way in its establishment.’
- ‘It is surely time that the people of Yeadon had their own parish council, just as Otley has its own town council.’
- ‘The committee recently made a donation to the parish council towards a play park for the village.’
- ‘The parish council has been trying to raise the issue with the county for more than six months, said Mr Clark.’
- ‘The parish council will now write to Leeds City Council with their objections to the plans.’
- ‘If you live in the parish and would like more information please contact the parish council.’
- ‘As trustees of the Institute, the parish council is considering selling it to fund a new centre.’
- ‘Mr Lewis is also a member of the Rawcliffe parish council which opposed the use of the site for retail purposes.’
- ‘This is what democracy is about and it is the parish council's duty to ensure that this happens.’
- ‘Members of the parish council are asking dog owners to make sure that if their pets foul in public places that they bag it and bin it.’
- ‘The parish council has also asked the district council to give it more time to make a full response to the application.’
- ‘The forum was set up by the parish council to organise a wide range of activities for young people in the area.’
- ‘A spokesman for the parish council said repair costs had to be met by the council.’
- ‘It is time that the parish council told council tax payers what is going on - openly and frankly.’
- ‘He said the scheme was worthwhile and the county council still hoped to work with the parish council.’
- ‘The parish council has done studies, every agency in government is doing studies.’
- ‘Concern was expressed by members of the parish council about sirens and traffic lights.’
- ‘The parish council adopted the code of conduct in May and all members had to sign it no later than July 15.’
- ‘We now learn that the vice-chairman of the parish council is also employed by Bradford Council.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.