Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The functional tissue of an organ as distinguished from the connective and supporting tissue.‘the liver parenchyma’
- ‘No myospherules were found within the renal parenchyma or the adipose tissue.’
- ‘Brain parenchyma from the parietal lobe showed venous congestion, hemorrhage, and diffuse edema.’
- ‘The tumor, which is often but not always associated with cystic lung lesions, may arise in pulmonary parenchyma, the mediastinum, and pleura.’
- ‘The tumor frequently extended to the adjacent lung parenchyma, bronchi, visceral pleura, and mediastinal soft tissues.’
- ‘Lesions in the cerebral hemispheres and brainstem included perivascular lymphocytes in leptomeninges and parenchyma, with scattered microglial nodules in gray and white matter.’
The cellular tissue, typically soft and succulent, found chiefly in the softer parts of leaves, pulp of fruits, bark and pith of stems, etc.‘xylem parenchyma cells’
- ‘In many dicotyledonous leaves, parenchyma or sclerenchyma cells of the vascular bundle sheath extend to the epidermis on both leaf sides, forming the so-called bundle sheath extensions.’
- ‘In this study, the pectate lyase gene expression was located in the recent products of cambial divisions of both phloem and xylem and conspicuously localized in the xylem parenchyma cells of young vascular bundles.’
- ‘ABA loss directly from the symplast to the apoplast is up to 4000 times lower than from mesophyll cells, phloem elements and stem parenchyma cells.’
- ‘These layers include the epidermis, an exodermis in roots where it is differentiated, several layers of cortex cells, the endodermis, pericycle, xylem parenchyma cells and finally the vessels.’
- ‘Endoreduplication has also been described in Arabidopsis leaf tissues and in parenchyma and cortex root cells of various species.’
Cellular tissue lying between the body wall and the organs of invertebrate animals lacking a coelom, such as flatworms.
- ‘Parichnos tissue is parenchyma with lots of air space between cells.’
- ‘Other mesodermal cells in the acoels are the peripheral parenchyma (connective tissue) and tunica cells of the gonads, and these also arise from the gastrodermis.’
Mid 17th century: from Greek parenkhuma something poured in besides, from para- beside + enkhuma infusion.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.