One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Able to be forgiven; excusable.‘no mistake, even a tiny one, is pardonable’
excusable, forgivable, allowable, condonable, understandable, minor, slight, venial, not serious, permissibleView synonyms
- ‘Except for that last misstep, the others are pardonable.’
- ‘But then I guess that is pardonable because it is something none of the commentators noticed either.’
- ‘But it would be a pardonable exaggeration to say that, for most writers, greedy to learn and emulate, this is the only important question.’
- ‘Success at politics seldom depends entirely upon good intentions and is often torpedoed with a single strike by matters as trivial as boyhood pranks or otherwise pardonable youthful indiscretions.’
- ‘But, also like baseball, it's entirely pardonable in view of its good-natured competitiveness and unpretentious charm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.