One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Make or become dry through intense heat.with object ‘a piece of grassland parched by the sun’no object ‘his crops parched during the last two summers’
dry, as dry as a bone, bone dry, dried up, dried out, arid, waterless, desiccated, dehydrated, sun-baked, baked, burned, scorched, seared, withered, shrivelledsearing, scorching, blistering, flaming, blazing, blazing hot, baking, baking hot, burning, fiery, torrid, witheringView synonyms
- ‘I walked along the barren lands as the sun parched my skin.’
- ‘Phoenix, meanwhile, had parched in the heat, although one or two storms had snuck into the north Valley after sunset, they brought only humidity, no relief.’
- ‘The hot sun had already parched the rain from the day before from the ground.’
- ‘But a horrendous heat wave then parched their new island and fell with special fury on the king's shepherd.’
- ‘Loster also points out that lightning strikes increase with warmer weather, a threat to modern electronics and forests parched by extreme heat.’
- ‘The already tinder-dry vegetation is further parched by the warm Santa Ana winds which blow in from the desert every year and also fuel any wildfires the moment they break out.’
- ‘Beyond the asphalt the land was parched brown by the heat, and there were no trees, just stubby greasewood bushes and low grass, with an occasional spiky yucca or flat cactus.’
- ‘These days, with the sun parching the New Zealand tourists, bowlers run in from the Gateway Pavilion End, home of a £4.5m edifice of wood and metal.’
- 1.1with object Roast (corn, peas, etc.) lightly.
dry up, desiccate, wither, shrivelView synonyms
- ‘On shore, the rice was dried in the sun, and then parched in a kettle to loosen the hull.’
- ‘The wheat is first parched then cooked in the milk and sugar and flavoured with spices and raisins.’
- ‘The kernels are dried in the sun, then parched, often by smoking on racks.’
- ‘The latter method also could be used to parch the rice.’
Late Middle English: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.