Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A shelf in a motor vehicle behind the rear seat.
- ‘The steel bar came through and pierced the parcel shelf in the back seat.’
- ‘And the third row really does offer seating, not just a glorified parcel shelf with additional seat belts.’
- ‘For example, all the models feature the touch-button sill height adjustment, an opening tailgate window, as well as a combined parcel shelf and retractable boot cover.’
- ‘He was then seen throwing a burning parcel shelf, taken from one of many blazing vehicles in the nearby car park, into the club.’
- ‘Undeterred, he calmly walked to a nearby blazing car, picked out the flaming parcel shelf and hurled it into the club where the 23 customers including a 78-year-old woman and her disabled son were cowering in terror.’
- ‘Stowage space isn't huge, with a rear parcel shelf and a couple of map pockets on the inside and a rather shallow but full-width 7.1 cu ft compartment in the tail - for which you can get a pair of special VX luggage bags.’
- ‘Do not leave property inside the vehicle, even in the boot or under the parcel shelf.’
- ‘Among the parts stolen were a steering wheel, an air filter, a parcel shelf, locking nuts and a pair of sparks.’
- ‘It's embarrassing enough turning up at the Drive-In with the venetian blinds in the rear window and the crochet cushions on the parcel shelf.’
- ‘After a few minutes examining the steering column I stumbled across it hidden to the left of the column above the parcel shelf.’
- ‘This flexible cargo space also comes equipped with hooks on the floor, side nets beside the wheel arches, hooks for hanging bags and even a small concealed tray under the parcel shelf.’
- ‘For example, they claimed a bloody handprint found on the parcel shelf of a car at the murder scene was too large to have been caused by her, as had been alleged by the prosecution.’
- ‘The hood, front wings, trunk lid, front and rear-end module carriers, the rear-end module, the parcel shelf, and the rear wall behind the rear seat backrest are all made of aluminum.’
- ‘Not too bad for a car that's essentially a lawnmower with a parcel shelf.’
- ‘There is also an overhead parcel shelf (over the driver and front-seat passenger) and in the back two underfloor storage compartments, door pockets and pockets behind seats.’
- ‘‘They then forced the security window at the parcel counter and forced a door to the parcel shelf,’ he said.’
- ‘The overhead parcel shelf is fine for the larger items or your sarnies and there's a handy notepad clip on the top of the dash.’
- ‘The officer said he believed the item was a rear parcel shelf from a burning car nearby.’
- ‘It has meant taking out the rear seat and parcel shelf to give it a weight-saving power boost, and to replace the spare wheel with a space-saving tyre mobility system - one that keeps the car on the road until a suitable garage is reached.’
- ‘I say that the parcel shelf will have to come out first.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.