One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The branch of the postal service dealing with parcels.
- ‘And companies like United Parcel Service have taken over what used to be the postal service's parcel post.’
- ‘As the old Post Office doesn't have an international parcel post, we continue round the corner to a rather more modest modern building.’
- ‘The services offered by post offices proliferated - the introduction of telegrams delivered by messenger boys; the establishment by Gladstone in 1861 of the Post Office Savings Bank; and the beginning of parcel post in 1883.’
- ‘The mode of delivery is either express parcel post or courier, which means the customer would be holding the book he ordered just a couple of days later.’
- ‘Mr. Coyote states that on December 13 th he received of Defendant via parcel post one Acme Rocket Sled.’
- ‘But I don't think you can ship a tractor by parcel post.’
- ‘In principle, however, a nuclear device can reach its target by virtually any means, including automobiles and even parcel post.’
- ‘It is quite simple to enter a destination (zip code within the United States, country outside the United States), item weight, length, etc. and find out how much it will cost to ship first class, priority, parcel post, overnight, etc.’
- ‘Sears, Montgomery Ward, and J. C. Penney sent their mail-order merchandise by express, not parcel post.’
- ‘A skinned animal, believed to be a decapitated monkey, has been seized by Customs officers in Waterford city having been sent via parcel post from West Africa.’
- ‘It is a three-dimensional magazine, a grown-up busy-box of tactile surprise, a wunderkammer that arrives via parcel post.’
- ‘Plus they could be coming parcel post (from the US, who knows?) so maybe I should be chasing red vans too.’
- ‘Later in his life, he was sent by parcel post from Africa to his armchair in the British Library, where he resisted many efforts to remove him by force.’
- ‘Rural free delivery was the most direct response, but postal savings banks and parcel post also helped.’
- ‘Remember, 60% of customs seizures so far this year have come from parcel post.’
- ‘This morning I am sending it by parcel post to Mr. Lynes, who has promised to hand it on to you.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.