Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Situated alongside, or on each side of, an axis, especially the central axis of the body.
- ‘Rather, their paraxial mesoderm had been transformed into neural epithelia.’
- ‘First was the relatively simple activation of motoneuron fates by sonic hedgehog from the notochord and floorplate and retinoic acid from the paraxial mesoderm.’
- ‘Myogenesis in the paraxial muscles (dorsal compartment) is dependent on contact with the neural tube and notochord, while limb and abdominal muscles (ventral compartment) are not.’
- ‘The signals determining their expression come from the adjacent paraxial mesoderm.’
- ‘Expression is maintained in dorsal paraxial regions where patterning is also intrinsic to the donor site of the graft.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.