One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Indian cooking) a flat, thick piece of unleavened bread fried on a griddle.
- ‘Then there is the whole spectrum of tandoori breads, including silky roomali rotis, naans and parathas.’
- ‘The list includes whole-wheat rotis, kulchas, garlic naan and stuffed parathas.’
- ‘The stuffed paratha - a fried bread stuffed with vegetables - was a delight, if slightly hard and a little too greasy.’
- ‘However, there is no need to feel let down, for our naan, roti, parathas and chappatis are a form of bread too.’
- ‘This is great with a paratha (an Indian garlic bread) and slices of fresh tomato seasoned with salt and pepper.’
From Hindi parāṭhā.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.