A region that seeks or claims but does not have the status of a recognized independent state.
- ‘The parastate, most often, seeks to represent itself as the state within the state.’
- ‘Neither parastate had a shred of official recognition from the outside world, but they believed that their manoeuvring would be rewarded in the end.’
- ‘Such examples also point to a conundrum for the parastate: it may be too small to survive.’
- ‘The parastates are again preparing for battle.’
- ‘In practice, coordinated by the official state apparatus, the parastate acquired enormous importance within and parallel to the institutional Right.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.