Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The study of mental phenomena which are excluded from or inexplicable by orthodox scientific psychology (such as hypnosis, telepathy, etc.).
- ‘Unfortunately, this is the threshold used by most journals in medicine, psychology, and parapsychology.’
- ‘It is, rather, a postulated phenomenon of parapsychology.’
- ‘The data of parapsychology have direct relevance to these and other issues in cognitive science.’
- ‘And there is not a single example of a scientific discovery in the field of parapsychology that has been independently replicated.’
- ‘Let us not trivialise this by saying that it is because of parapsychology or telepathy.’
- ‘Pertinent research findings in parapsychology and mainstream psychology will be summarized.’
- ‘One criticism of parapsychology has been that its researchers have ignored studies with negative outcomes.’
- ‘Fourth, in many circles association with parapsychology is a social and an intellectual stigma.’
- ‘Rhine, by the way, is the person who coined the terms extrasensory perception and parapsychology.’
- ‘Therefore, it will be the interface between parapsychology and general psychology, and not the various other fields of science, that will be of most interest here.’
- ‘During the course of my extraordinary journey through the labyrinth of parapsychology I played the part of both psychic and researcher.’
- ‘Now it must be recognized that not all involvement of magicians in parapsychology has proven useful; there have been minor disasters in this regard.’
- ‘Experimental results of parapsychology seem unable to fulfill these requirements.’
- ‘Most of the participants were interested in parapsychology and in psi phenomena.’
- ‘This site is dedicated to parapsychology and related paranormal phenomena.’
- ‘It is important to make a distinction between formal parapsychology and the psychic nonsense and superstition that often operates in its name.’
- ‘Human Personality can still speak to modern psychology and parapsychology in different ways.’
- ‘Dr. Smith is an authority on parapsychology, the psychology of superstition and paranormal belief, and the psychology of deception.’
- ‘In many of the word association experiments used in parapsychology, the assumption is made that the ESP will work automatically on an unconscious level.’
- ‘I think in the past the déjà vu experience has been interpreted by parapsychology and it's very tempting to be thinking about the déjà vu experiences perhaps reflecting a past life.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.