One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of RNA viruses similar to the myxoviruses but larger and haemolytic, including those causing mumps, measles, distemper, rinderpest, and various respiratory infections (parainfluenza).
- ‘Measles is caused by a paramyxovirus and usually affects children.’
- ‘Respiratory syncytial virus is a paramyxovirus of the genus pneumovirus.’
- ‘Ephrin B2 is the entry receptor for Nipah virus, an emergent deadly paramyxovirus.’
- ‘The scientists working on the cause of SARS have already focused their attention on a coronavirus after an initial suspicion that a paramyxovirus might be the cause.’
- ‘The health department also announced yesterday that it had identified the kind of virus that had sickened the three people here as paramyxovirus, the same virus identified in SARS patients in Hong Kong, Singapore and Germany.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.