Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of RNA viruses similar to the myxoviruses but larger and haemolytic, including those causing mumps, measles, distemper, rinderpest, and various respiratory infections (parainfluenza).
- ‘Respiratory syncytial virus is a paramyxovirus of the genus pneumovirus.’
- ‘The health department also announced yesterday that it had identified the kind of virus that had sickened the three people here as paramyxovirus, the same virus identified in SARS patients in Hong Kong, Singapore and Germany.’
- ‘The scientists working on the cause of SARS have already focused their attention on a coronavirus after an initial suspicion that a paramyxovirus might be the cause.’
- ‘Measles is caused by a paramyxovirus and usually affects children.’
- ‘Ephrin B2 is the entry receptor for Nipah virus, an emergent deadly paramyxovirus.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.