One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or expressed in terms of a parameter or parameters.
- ‘In designing the luminaires, the students used parametric surface modeling to produce contours, patterns, and templates.’
- ‘We've made dramatic changes to the skeletal system, which allows for full parametric blending of multiple layers of animation.’
- ‘For several decades now, designers have relied on the classic design tree or parametric modeling approach.’
- ‘A parametric method successfully characterizes deformations, rotations, and displacements of single cells or cell populations and their correlations.’
- ‘The parameters used in the parametric bootstrap simulations were the phylogenetic tree generated from the aligned protein sequences and a residue substitution matrix.’
- 1.1Statistics Assuming the value of a parameter for the purpose of analysis.‘variables with normal distribution were compared by means of parametric tests’
- ‘Most statistical analyses performed were parametric (ANOVAs and correlations).’
- ‘The present study employs parametric analysis to test for the ‘daylight saving effect’ market anomaly in the Australian stock market.’
- ‘Variables were log 10 transformed as appropriate to improve fit to a normal distribution for parametric statistical analyses.’
- ‘Statistical analysis was performed using parametric and nonparametric tests, depending on whether the data distribution could be assumed to be gaussian or not.’
- ‘Statistical analysis was performed using parametric ANOVAs after normality was confirmed by Shapiro-Wilk test.’
- 1.2Electronics Relating to or denoting a process in which amplification or frequency conversion is obtained using a device modulated by a pumping frequency, which enables power to be transferred from the pumping frequency to the signal.
- ‘One part of the amplifier output was used to pump an optical parametric amplifier for generation of the 490 nm pump pulses.’
- ‘An optical parametric amplifier allowed them to try the experiment at different wavelengths.’
- ‘Synchronized double pumping, and therefore careful timing, is very critical in this device because the optical parametric gain has no storage time, unlike conventional laser-gain media.’
- ‘The other part is used to pump an optical parametric amplifier, which provides excitation in a broad spectral range.’
- ‘Sound Forge software was used to filter sounds with a low pass and parametric filter to increase the gain of the 20 Hz signal and reduce other frequencies containing background noise.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.