Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The state of being paralogous.
- ‘Our goal therefore was to determine to which group individual sequences belong in order to clarify orthology and paralogy and to provide a framework for gene comparisons.’
- ‘This shows that the acquisition of catalase activity, whether by paralogy or by lateral acquisition of genes, will usually lead to a better performance of aerobic organisms.’
- ‘Second, in the study of Baldauf et al., hidden paralogy can be problematic, since many paralogs exist within animals for three of the four genes used (actin, and - and ß-tubulins) and finding the correct orthologs is difficult.’
- ‘We analyzed the concatenated alignment of previously available amino acid sequences, although the possibility of paralogy could not be completely excluded.’
- ‘Generally, the analysis of substitution rates in multicopy genes requires careful handling of orthology and paralogy.’
- ‘Lyotard sees reason not as a universal and immutable human faculty or principle but as a specific and variable human production; "paralogy" for him means the movement against an established way of reasoning.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.