One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state of being paralogous.
- ‘Generally, the analysis of substitution rates in multicopy genes requires careful handling of orthology and paralogy.’
- ‘We analyzed the concatenated alignment of previously available amino acid sequences, although the possibility of paralogy could not be completely excluded.’
- ‘Second, in the study of Baldauf et al., hidden paralogy can be problematic, since many paralogs exist within animals for three of the four genes used (actin, and - and ß-tubulins) and finding the correct orthologs is difficult.’
- ‘This shows that the acquisition of catalase activity, whether by paralogy or by lateral acquisition of genes, will usually lead to a better performance of aerobic organisms.’
- ‘Our goal therefore was to determine to which group individual sequences belong in order to clarify orthology and paralogy and to provide a framework for gene comparisons.’
- ‘Lyotard sees reason not as a universal and immutable human faculty or principle but as a specific and variable human production; "paralogy" for him means the movement against an established way of reasoning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.