Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to genes that are descended from the same ancestral gene by gene duplication in the course of evolution, especially when present in different species which have diverged after the duplication.
- ‘Two major clusters and four subgroups indicate that the paralogous C. cinereus rcb genes are polyphyletic and diverge through several lineages.’
- ‘According to the generally accepted view of gene duplication and evolution, the redundancy created by duplication allows paralogous gene copies to evolve new functions.’
- ‘Clustering of protein sets for each organism has led to the identification of paralogous genes for each species.’
- ‘Following a duplication event, the two paralogous genes may evolve under different selective constraints and thus may show different patterns of molecular evolution.’
- ‘Gene duplication and diversification has resulted in six paralogous ATPases being present in the eukaryotic proteasome.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.