One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting paralanguage or the non-lexical elements of communication by speech.
- ‘Video-clips of instructors were used so that perceivers would have access to paralinguistic information, which is presumably important in altruist-detection.’
- ‘From a practical standpoint, it is impossible to capture nonverbal and paralinguistic cues from early presidents' speeches.’
- ‘A transcript was used rather than an audiotaped conversation so as to provide no paralinguistic or vocalic cues regarding the nature of the ambiguous evaluative comments.’
- ‘Although these studies highlight the importance of the voice in the seductive interaction, the data about the paralinguistic features are quantitatively limited and qualitatively restricted to a perceptual analysis only.’
- ‘I agree with his dissection of McClellan's delivery, and I think that all of the paralinguistic cues may have informed the White House stenographer's interpretation of McClellan's interjection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.