Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A disease caused by any of a group of viruses which resemble the influenza viruses.
- ‘One of these viruses, parainfluenza, infects almost all children before they reach the age of 5, causing illnesses ranging from colds to pneumonia.’
- ‘In addition, illnesses with other etiologies such as parainfluenza, respiratory syncytial virus, adenovirus, allergies, and bacterial pneumonia can have symptoms similar to those of influenza.’
- ‘Respiratory syncytial virus, parainfluenza, influenza, and adenovirus accounted for 21 CARV infections.’
- ‘In the same year that Rosen and colleagues published their findings on PAP, parainfluenza was first recognized as a human respiratory pathogen.’
- ‘The researchers' next step will be to develop a quantum dot cocktail capable of simultaneously detecting the presence of at least five major respiratory viruses: influenza A and B, parainfluenza and metapneumovirus, in addition to RSV.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.