One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A disease caused by any of a group of viruses which resemble the influenza viruses.
- ‘One of these viruses, parainfluenza, infects almost all children before they reach the age of 5, causing illnesses ranging from colds to pneumonia.’
- ‘Respiratory syncytial virus, parainfluenza, influenza, and adenovirus accounted for 21 CARV infections.’
- ‘In addition, illnesses with other etiologies such as parainfluenza, respiratory syncytial virus, adenovirus, allergies, and bacterial pneumonia can have symptoms similar to those of influenza.’
- ‘The researchers' next step will be to develop a quantum dot cocktail capable of simultaneously detecting the presence of at least five major respiratory viruses: influenza A and B, parainfluenza and metapneumovirus, in addition to RSV.’
- ‘In the same year that Rosen and colleagues published their findings on PAP, parainfluenza was first recognized as a human respiratory pathogen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.