One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A symbol (usually ¶) used in printed text to mark a new paragraph or as a reference mark.
- ‘The rather long captions of a photographic feature are broken into ‘paragraphs’ indicated, not by indentation or by a line of white space, but by a red paragraph symbol.’’
- ‘I used paragraph marks because your built-in preview concatenated my paragraphs into one.’
- ‘At the beginning of each paragraph in an APA full-text article, a small gray paragraph symbol appears.’
- ‘It is a good idea to display paragraph marks as you work so that you don't accidentally lose a paragraph's formatting properties.’
- ‘One common task is removing extra paragraph marks in the document. The macro in this tip makes short work of removing all the extra paragraph marks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.