Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fundamental change in approach or underlying assumptions.‘geophysical evidence supporting Wegener's theory led to a rapid paradigm shift in the earth sciences’
- ‘A paradigm shift in the fields of art, entertainment and publishing is taking place.’
- ‘Second, it takes a paradigm shift to transition from traditional group insurance to a health and welfare trust.’
- ‘The Joburg 2030 strategy marks an important paradigm shift in our approach to planning.’
- ‘Within twenty years a fundamental paradigm shift had occurred in the ways in which informed observers discussed human existence.’
- ‘The internet provides a paradigm shift in thinking regarding communication and medical knowledge.’
1970s: term used in the writings of Thomas S. Kuhn (1922–96), philosopher of science.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.