One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place where troops gather for parade.
- ‘Everyone turned and saluted the ensign flying over the parade ground.’
- ‘As families were reunited on a chilly parade ground, the Black Watch's commanding officer paid tribute to a regiment that may be returning from action for the last time.’
- ‘Capt Clinton Thomas took the salute on the main parade ground, and was joined by Brig. Peter Ball.’
- ‘The sound of the bugle is often heard as the sound of the retreat, originating from the completion of the soldiers' roll call at the parade ground.’
- ‘Those amused by the characteristically shrieked orders given on the parade ground should remember that these were once given amid the roar of musketry and artillery: thus the piercing tone, usually accompanied by hand signals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.