One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flare that is fired into the air by a rocket so as to float suspended from a small parachute, used as a signal or for illuminating large areas.‘a red parachute flare was sighted by a fisherman just south of Port Kennedy and police were called’
- ‘Squad leaders fired their M203 rounds with modified parachute flares to mark enemy positions.’
- ‘In order to navigate at night, commanders used compasses and parachute flares.’
- ‘Searchers used loud parachute flares that light up a vast area to make contact with the woman, who was suffering hypothermia.’
- ‘Engagements during hours of darkness can require illumination, such as a star cluster or parachute flare, to illuminate enemy positions.’
- ‘After illuminating both sea and land with parachute flares, the enemy aircraft came in at low level.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.