One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The perforation of a cavity of the body or of a cyst or similar outgrowth, especially with a hollow needle to remove fluid or gas.
- ‘A diagnostic paracentesis was performed and revealed blood and blood clot, consistent with a resolving hematoma.’
- ‘Patients with new-onset ascites or clinical deterioration should undergo paracentesis.’
- ‘In patients with cirrhosis, ascites is treated with paracentesis and spironolactone.’
- ‘A paracentesis done upon admission to the hospital was negative for tumor cells.’
- ‘From the data reviewed by this group, colloids are superior resuscitative agents and are important adjuncts in the therapy of dialysis-related hypotension and in the management of ascites requiring paracenteses.’
Late 16th century: via Latin from Greek parakentēsis, from parakentein ‘pierce at the side’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.