One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Thin or dry like paper; papery.
thin, paper-thin, gossamer-thin, ultra-thin, flimsy, delicate, insubstantial, fragile, frail, light, lightweightView synonyms
- ‘The wasps usually build a papyraceous envelope or sac for the enclosure of their combs.’
- ‘The scapula is quite papyraceous in some places.’
- ‘Like all the short bones, those of the tarsus are composed of a mass of spongy tissue surrounded by a thin and papyraceous layer of compact.’
- ‘This papyraceous substance has taken the place of the epidermis.’
- ‘The pupa is enclosed in a papyraceous web.’
Mid 18th century: from papyrus + -aceous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.