Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small pimple or swelling on the skin, often forming part of a rash.
pimple, pustule, blemish, blackhead, boil, swelling, eruption, wen, styView synonyms
- ‘According to the committee, the primary features of rosacea are flushing, nontransient erythema, papules and pustules, and telangiectases, all in the central part of the face.’
- ‘Later, patients develop lid edema, painful conjunctivitis with scleral injection, chemosis and small yellowish conjunctival ulcers or papules.’
- ‘In patients with the malar rash of systemic lupus erythematosus, papules may be present, but pustules are rare.’
- ‘Tinea capitis often presents with multiple hairs broken off at the scalp level (or a few millimeters above) and scale, papules, or pustules.’
- ‘Further detailed physical examination revealed a flesh-colored papule in the nail bed of the third toe of the left foot, consistent with an ungual fibroma.’
Early 18th century: from Latin papula.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.