One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A powdered spice with a deep orange-red colour and a mildly pungent flavour, made from the dried and ground fruits of certain varieties of pepper.
- ‘To make beer batter, whisk together the beer, flour, paprika and garlic until well blended.’
- ‘This Hungarian version is one of the more interesting chicken stews in the world, with the typically Magyar ingredients of onion, sweet peppers and paprika.’
- ‘Most barbecue sauces are tomato-based and encompass a myriad of spices such as chili powder, paprika, and cumin.’
- ‘The mushroom dish was superb, with three mushroom types in a tangy sauce made by ‘sauce specialist’ Yves with salt, pepper, paprika and parsley as the main ingredients.’
- ‘In a food processor, combine the peppers, garlic and bread with the tomato, tomato purée, ground almonds, paprika, chilli, sea salt and pepper and whiz to a rough paste.’
- ‘We also ordered the pinchitos morunos for €6.50, but the spicy pork in paprika and cumin was overcooked and tough.’
- ‘Galicians specialize in trencherman food: suckling pig, grilled skate, pulpy octopus speckled with sea salt and paprika.’
- ‘For the sardines, in a large bowl, whisk together the cumin, paprika, white pepper, garlic, oregano, and vinegar.’
- ‘Foods high in beta-carotene include yellow-orange vegetables such as carrots, yams, squash, pumpkin, paprika, cayenne pepper and turnips.’
- ‘Generally, sweet peppers, paprika, and garlic are favourite flavourings for pork in Spain and Portugal.’
- ‘To make the curry powder, combine the ground coriander, cumin, fenugreek, pepper, ginger, paprika and turmeric and mix well.’
- ‘The sauce was spread like frosting over all, then sprinkled with paprika and dried parsley.’
- ‘Serve with the yoghurt, scattered with paprika, some lemon wedges and a green salad.’
- ‘For a milder flavour replace chilli powder with ground paprika.’
- ‘The rack of lamb was crusted with bay leaf and paprika, and expertly sliced at the table in the classic Continental style.’
- 1.1 A deep orange-red colour.
- ‘I painted the kitchen Paprika and am so delighted with the color, the room came alive.’
- ‘Im using Patons Classic Merino Wool, as called for in the pattern in paprika.’
Late 19th century: from Hungarian.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.