One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small wart-like growth on the skin or on a mucous membrane, derived from the epidermis and usually benign.
- ‘Laryngeal papillomas are the most common benign laryngeal growths in children.’
- ‘The laser can also provide relief for symptoms caused by benign airway tumors such as hamartomas, papillomas, polyps, and angiomas.’
- ‘Ependymomas and choroid plexus papillomas generally appear cytologically benign or bland.’
- ‘Epidermoid cysts, squamous papillomas, and fibroepithelial polyps do not usually present differential diagnostic difficulties.’
- ‘Surface epithelial neoplasms consist of squamous cell papillomas, transitional cell papillomas, and papillary adenomas.’
Mid 19th century: from papilla + -oma.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.