One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The technique of using paper for collage.
- ‘In 1912 Braque and Picasso began to introduce collage and papier collé: this lent a clearer, if schematic, system of reference into a style which had become increasingly abstract.’
- ‘Gris too made extensive use of papier collé, and Matisse's use of cut-out paper shapes in his late work is a development of the technique.’
- 1.1count noun A collage made from paper.
- ‘As defined by the Cubists, the papier collé had limited the artist's role to arranging elements; Arp went even further and eliminated the traditional "artistic" notion of arranging forms in relation to each other.’
- ‘In Braque's and Picasso's very first papiers collés, shading stops being pointillist and suddenly becomes broad and incisive again.’
French, literally ‘glued paper’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.