One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Thin and dry like paper.‘papery onion skins’
thin, paper-thin, gossamer-thin, ultra-thin, flimsy, delicate, insubstantial, fragile, frail, light, lightweightView synonyms
- ‘Make sure you remove the papery membrane that you'll find between the two halves.’
- ‘Some, such as tulips, have a brown papery coating called a tunic (just like onions).’
- ‘With their papery bark, aromatic leaves, red sap, and rapidly tapering trunks, elephant-trees are as absurd, beautiful, and intriguing as their namesakes.’
- ‘Garlic is ready to harvest when the leaves turn papery and fade.’
- ‘It is a beautiful tree, with gracious branches and a brilliant white papery peeling bark.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.