Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who decorates with wallpaper, especially professionally.
- ‘The curator of the museum has suggested that perhaps Frederick Linder, a painter and paperhanger who lived at 97 Orchard Street, papered the walls in exchange for free rent.’
- ‘After dropping out of art school, She worked as a house painter, plasterer and paperhanger while she made abstract paintings and drawings in her spare time.’
- ‘Don't hesitate to ask your professional paperhanger to provide certification of insurance covering workers' compensation, property damage and personal liability.’
- ‘Your local independent retailer can advise you as to when and if you should hire a professional and can usually give you a list of local paperhangers.’
- ‘There's nothing more frustrating for a do-it-yourself paperhanger than to run out of wallpaper just a few feet short of finishing a project.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.