Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A tropical fruit shaped like an elongated melon, with edible orange flesh and small black seeds.Also called omitted unresolving XREF to "papaw" or pawpaw
- ‘Orange, papaya, carrot, whole milk and butter, all green leafy vegetables, tomatoes and raw bananas are rich in vitamin A. Vitamin D is chiefly obtained from exposing the skin to natural sunshine.’
- ‘Halve the papaya, scoop out the seeds, peel the flesh then chop roughly.’
- ‘Lutein is found in spinach, leeks, peas, kiwi fruits, black grapes and romaine lettuce, while rich sources of zeaxanthin include sweetcorn, red peppers, nectarines, papaya and honeydew melon.’
- ‘Make an unusual, tasty and colourful salad with steamed spinach and fruits such as apples, grapes, orange segments, papaya and melon.’
- ‘Scoop the seeds out of a melon or a medium papaya, and fill this edible bowl with 1/2 cup of ice cream.’
2The fast-growing tree which bears the papaya, native to warm regions of America. It is widely cultivated for its fruit, both for eating and for papain production.
- ‘Here and now, in a cooperative of 36 families, papaya and lime trees shaded thatched houses elegantly constructed of smooth wooden poles.’
- ‘Each house stands in a garden in the midst of coconut, mango, papaya, and other trees.’
- ‘Fast-growing papayas like sun and a well-draining, organically enriched soil and water.’
- ‘The papaya, from the tree Carica Papaya, is also known as mamao, tree melon, or pawpaw (not to be confused with the true pawpaw).’
- ‘Some papaya trees thrive in cold weather, like Carica pubescens, from Colombia, or C. stipulata, from Ecuador.’
Late 16th century: from Spanish and Portuguese (see pawpaw).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.