One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A poppadom.‘a superb meal of fresh fish, vegetables, dal, papads, and rice’
- ‘While most joints concentrate on lunch offering rice and curry with papad, a side dish and pickle - there are ones providing breakfast and supper as well.’
- ‘Again, papads are rolled out paper thin whereas poppadoms are rolled out a little thicker and puff up more.’
- ‘Ordinarily there would be two vegetable dishes, and one savoury, and one sweet, and some chutney/salad/raita, and papad, and a few more things here and there.’
- ‘The menu included sweet, vada, four vegetable dishes, payasam, papad, fruits and a three-course meal.’
- ‘She served steamed Basmati, fried papads, and sun dried yogurt chilies with the fish.’
Hindi pāpaṛ from Tamil pappaḍam poppadom.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.