One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Worthy of being or eligible to be pope.
- ‘‘It's interesting that several people once thought to be papabile are now regarded as too old or infirm’ said Lawler.’
- ‘And who is the most papabile, to use the Italian word for a possible Pope?’
- ‘Four now run curial offices themselves… All four are today mentioned as papabile, or potential candidates for the papacy.’
- ‘To speak of a cardinal as papabile is to say that he is thought to be a likely candidate for pope.’
- ‘The two men considered most papabile (capable of becoming pope) among the DUP cardinals when the next conclave eventually comes are deputy leader Peter Robinson and the party's newest star, Nigel Dodds.’
Italian, from Latin papa ‘pope’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.