One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Malay verse form, also imitated in French and English, with a rhyme scheme abab.count noun ‘smart's the word for pantoums and haiku’mass noun ‘we could end as a line of pantoum’
- ‘Fascinated throughout his career by venerable poetic fixed forms such as the sonnet, the triolet, and the Malayan pantoum, Jouet chose to invent a new fixed form.’
- ‘He prefers to make use of old verse forms like sonnets and pantun, a four-line stanza.’
- ‘Their fourth exercise/poem was their choice of a form using repetition or refrain: a villanelle, rondeaux, traditional ghazal, glosa, sestina or pantoum.’
- ‘His poetry is characterized by its openness to the vagaries of consciousness, its wry, beguiling lyricism, and its innovative use of forms such as the pantoum and the sestina.’
- ‘One of the oldest forms of Sundanese literature still in existence is the pantun cerita.’
Late 18th century: Malay pantun.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.