Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A Malay verse form, also imitated in French and English, with a rhyme scheme abab.count noun ‘smart's the word for pantoums and haiku’mass noun ‘we could end as a line of pantoum’
- ‘He prefers to make use of old verse forms like sonnets and pantun, a four-line stanza.’
- ‘One of the oldest forms of Sundanese literature still in existence is the pantun cerita.’
- ‘His poetry is characterized by its openness to the vagaries of consciousness, its wry, beguiling lyricism, and its innovative use of forms such as the pantoum and the sestina.’
- ‘Their fourth exercise/poem was their choice of a form using repetition or refrain: a villanelle, rondeaux, traditional ghazal, glosa, sestina or pantoum.’
- ‘Fascinated throughout his career by venerable poetic fixed forms such as the sonnet, the triolet, and the Malayan pantoum, Jouet chose to invent a new fixed form.’
Late 18th century: Malay pantun.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.