Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Japanese cooking) breadcrumbs with a light, flaky texture, typically used as a coating for fried or baked food.‘a piece of plump Chilean sea bass remained moist under a light crusting of panko’
- ‘But everything was right with a succulent crab cake jam-packed with real crab and without perceptible bread binding and with plump littleneck clams casino, warm under a dust of seasoned panko.’
- ‘The entire dish was topped with crunchy bits of a crumbed bread, like panko (the Japanese breadcrumbs).’
- ‘Stuff the zucchini blossoms with mixture and dredge in flour, egg wash and panko; repeat process.’
- ‘I used panko rather than regular breadcrumbs, and way more parmesan than Nigella suggests ... but the idea was still hers.’
- ‘To make the crab cakes, combine the crabmeat, panko, scallions, and 1/2 cup of the aioli.’
- ‘Pork tonkatsu, breaded with panko and fried to an ideal crispness in brown butter, harks back to the chef's schnitzel-sizzling days at Danube.’
- ‘Dredge spheres in flour, then egg, then panko, and again in egg and a final time in bread crumbs.’
- ‘In a food processor, pulse the panko and pecans until fine and uniform in size.’
- ‘You can use cracker crumbs, bread crumbs, or panko, but Doyle is going to try ground-up Triscuits, which are made from whole wheat flour.’
- ‘Rolled in panko (bread crumbs) and fried until golden, the pork is fresh and succulent.’
- ‘He adds panko as light breading before pan-frying.’
- ‘Start with the salt-cod fritters ($7), tender inside and crispy out, thanks to the panko in which they're rolled and lightly fried.’
- ‘Sprinkle some panko on a plate and place one side of each crab cake in the crumbs.’
Japanese pan-ko, from pan ‘bread’ + ko ‘flour, powder’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.