Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person whose job is to beat out the bodywork of motor vehicles.
- ‘The story goes that a panel beater built the little car - complete with cut-down steering wheel, child sized leather clad seats, speedometer and rev counter, and teeny wheels - for his kids.’
- ‘The old Sligo family called Crosse were master coach builders and one of them, Denny, a talented panel beater designed the body.’
- ‘For the following two years he worked as a panel beater.’
- ‘The former panel beater from Swindon was champion jockey seven times and was renowned for his graceful riding style and superb horsemanship.’
- ‘Owners of livestock, rabbits, pet shops, dangerous wild animals, panel beaters, scrap yards, hairdressers, nursing homes and crèches must apply for permits to engage in their trade.’
- ‘Russell, a former Huntington School pupil, was an apprentice panel beater at Leedhams, York.’
- ‘Poisonous waste produced by panel beaters, hospitals and large industrial companies was dumped there.’
- ‘Blinded and disorientated, Ross was then punched and hit with a panel beater's hammer before he was stabbed in the chest and neck.’
- ‘His final explanation for the hoard was that the money came from his wages as a mechanic and panel beater.’
- ‘Some yards in the Berea / Hillbrow / Yeoville area are used as makeshift workshops for mechanics and panel beaters.’
- ‘We need mechanics, panel beaters, auto electricians, trimmers, air conditioning mechanics, etc.’
- ‘Local roofers, glazers and panel beaters are all still busy repairing the damage done to cars, windows, solar panels, roofs and gutters.’
- ‘I worked as a panel beater, spray painter and did a stint in engineering before I took the plunge into college life.’
- ‘I just remember how lonely and isolated I became, " the retired panel beater explained.’
- ‘I have spent this week dealing with insurance companies, lawyers, panel beaters, etc, all around my normal working hours.’
- ‘Mr Sutcliffe originally came from Todmorden and trained as a panel beater when he came to Rochdale before setting up his own business.’
- ‘Detectives have made extensive inquiries with panel beaters and mechanics, she said, but not a single vehicle matching that description could be located.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.