One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kind of spiced apple pudding baked in a deep dish.mass noun ‘spoon bread and apple pandowdy’count noun ‘an apple pandowdy’
- ‘Apple Pandowdy is one of a family of simple desserts, known in different parts of the world as cobblers, duffs, grunts, slumps and pandowdies.’
- ‘From Canada to Texas, you will find a crisp, a crunch, a grunt, a brown betty, a buckle and even a pandowdy.’
- ‘Lightly sweetened peaches peek through the top crust in this adorable pandowdy.’
- ‘Grunts are cousins of all kinds of other fruit desserts with CRAZY names: cobblers, crisps, betties, clafoutis, pandowdies, buckles.’
- ‘Weil's recipes for unfussy summer desserts like easy blackberry cobbler, juicy peach pandowdy, and warm blueberry grunt leave no excuse for not taking advantage of summer fruit at its peak.’
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.