Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A process that once begun generates many complicated problems.‘these policies might open a Pandora's box of inflationary wage claims’
- ‘Having opened the Pandora's box and revealed how with-profits policies operate, the reaction from some investment advisers is that the product is now largely obsolete.’
- ‘Howard has opened a Pandora's box and he can't close it now.’
- ‘Today I am glad he did - he has opened up a technological Pandora's box, which will benefit the world for generations.’
- ‘But he has opened a Pandora's box of logical reasoning.’
- ‘Has the president's stem cell decision opened a Pandora's box?’
- ‘It is the skeleton in the closet, the Pandora's box yet unopened.’
- ‘A government that pursues this policy would quickly find that once the Pandora's box of appeasement is opened, it will never be shut.’
- ‘Decriminalisation would open a Pandora's box on drugs liberalisation which challenges our fearful attitudes to ‘harder’ drugs like heroin.’
- ‘What Ms. Patel has done is to open a Pandora's box.’
- ‘Given this logic, it's not hard to see why the industry would be in a state of denial about security: The very discussion is a lethal Pandora's box.’
- ‘They may have also opened a Pandora's box of complications involving a child's claim on a sperm donor's data and wealth.’
- ‘It is also why conservatives in the government are none too enthusiastic to grant them these political rights, fearing that a Pandora's box will be opened in Syria.’
- ‘Like Pandora's box, once opened, it is going to be well nigh impossible to put back the troubles and close down the lid.’
- ‘Despite such reassurances, once the Pandora's box of the recall motion has been opened, there is no telling what pestilence will result.’
- ‘His lawyer, a philosophical chain-smoker, suggests fatalistically that once the Pandora's box is open you can't put it back.’
- ‘It soon, however, also opened a Pandora's box of questions about just how internationally compliant Egyptian presidential elections could be.’
- ‘Once Pandora's box is opened, there won't be enough time for real science.’
- ‘Cloning is the Pandora's box of the new millennium.’
- ‘And in doing so, he opened a Pandora's box of history, emotion, frustration, uncertainty and fear that left none of us unscathed.’
- ‘But the exercise unleashed a Pandora's box of problems with issues raised over the handling of contracts and renovation funds.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.