One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A tropical tree or shrub with a twisted and branched stem, stilt roots, spiral tufts of long, narrow spiny leaves, and fibrous edible fruit.Also called screw pine
- ‘We set off in a crocodile through the pandanus palms and bankshia trees.’
- ‘Photographers made use of the pandanus to lend striking silhouettes to black and white photographs of Reef twilight.’
- ‘This rampart is now colonized by coconut palms, pandanus, and breadfruit trees, and I like to sit here in the late after-noons and watch the sea rolling ashore.’
- ‘In addition to twigs, the crows manufacture tools from long and barbed leaves of the pandanus tree.’
- ‘An even smaller tropical island than Sipadan, Lankayan is covered with lush vegetation, including casuarina trees and the ubiquitous pandan screw pines.’
- 1.1mass noun Fibre from the leaves of the pandanus, often woven into a material for roofing, mats, etc.
- ‘The whole village built of pandanus and grass looked as if it were about to founder in the sea of mud.’
- ‘The entries reveal the use of a rich variety of media and materials including photomontage, ceramics, recycled wire, dugong bone, bronze, feathers, pandanus fibre, and works on paper, bark and canvas.’
- ‘After cooking in syrup, the cakes are soaked in a mixture called rabri - cream plus thickened fresh milk, flavoured with pandanus.’
- ‘Put palm sugar, pandan (tied in a knot) and water in a saucepan.’
- ‘A few houses of local materials, with pandanus thatch sides and thatched roofs, still exist.’
- ‘We sat on pandanus mats on the lino floor and talked about Britain and Samoa.’
- ‘The woman was preparing pandanus and plaiting it.’
- ‘Just looking at it made me happy, from the glossy little banana chips and minimalist knot of pandan leaf on top, from the chaste green sweep of banana-leaf wrapping, to the shiny gold circle on which the pastry sits.’
Modern Latin, from Malay pandan.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.