One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A tropical tree or shrub with a twisted and branched stem, stilt roots, spiral tufts of long, narrow spiny leaves, and fibrous edible fruit.Also called screw pine
- ‘In addition to twigs, the crows manufacture tools from long and barbed leaves of the pandanus tree.’
- ‘This rampart is now colonized by coconut palms, pandanus, and breadfruit trees, and I like to sit here in the late after-noons and watch the sea rolling ashore.’
- ‘Photographers made use of the pandanus to lend striking silhouettes to black and white photographs of Reef twilight.’
- ‘An even smaller tropical island than Sipadan, Lankayan is covered with lush vegetation, including casuarina trees and the ubiquitous pandan screw pines.’
- ‘We set off in a crocodile through the pandanus palms and bankshia trees.’
- 1.1mass noun Fibre from the leaves of the pandanus, often woven into a material for roofing, mats, etc.
- ‘We sat on pandanus mats on the lino floor and talked about Britain and Samoa.’
- ‘The woman was preparing pandanus and plaiting it.’
- ‘Just looking at it made me happy, from the glossy little banana chips and minimalist knot of pandan leaf on top, from the chaste green sweep of banana-leaf wrapping, to the shiny gold circle on which the pastry sits.’
- ‘The entries reveal the use of a rich variety of media and materials including photomontage, ceramics, recycled wire, dugong bone, bronze, feathers, pandanus fibre, and works on paper, bark and canvas.’
- ‘A few houses of local materials, with pandanus thatch sides and thatched roofs, still exist.’
- ‘After cooking in syrup, the cakes are soaked in a mixture called rabri - cream plus thickened fresh milk, flavoured with pandanus.’
- ‘The whole village built of pandanus and grass looked as if it were about to founder in the sea of mud.’
- ‘Put palm sugar, pandan (tied in a knot) and water in a saucepan.’
Modern Latin, from Malay pandan.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.