One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deficiency of all three cellular components of the blood (red cells, white cells, and platelets).
- ‘Despite initial pancytopenia and neutropenic sepsis, she has tolerated three cycles of chemotherapy.’
- ‘New warnings were added about rare cases of central nervous system demyelinating disorders and reports of pancytopenia, including aplastic anemia, which have at times been fatal.’
- ‘One month after laparotomy, laboratory studies showed the development of pancytopenia with normocytic red cells.’
- ‘The peripheral blood smear showed pancytopenia with 3% plasma cells.’
- ‘In contrast, another patient exhibited a normal blood smear, and the third had a blood smear with pancytopenia.’
1940s: from pan- ‘all’ + cyto- ‘cell’ + Greek penia ‘poverty, lack’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.