Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The clear alkaline digestive fluid secreted by the pancreas.
- ‘In the duodenum, alkaline bile and pancreatic juice help neutralize the stomach contents.’
- ‘During the gastric phase of pancreatic juice secretion, gastrin continues to be released in response to stomach distension and the presence of amino acids in the stomach.’
- ‘He had no idea of the fluid's function - and we now know that pancreatic juice is unambiguously alkaline, because the cells lining the duct system secrete bicarbonate ions.’
- ‘Food cannot be digested properly without pancreatic juice.’
- ‘The presence of lipids in the intestine stimulates the secretion of bile and pancreatic juice.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.