Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of photographic film) sensitive to all visible colours of the spectrum.Often contrasted with orthochromatic
- ‘The primary requisite for inspecting panchromatic film is a dark green safelight filter.’
- ‘The actors did not wear make-up, and panchromatic film was used to make the faces appear as if in relief.’
- ‘I use traditional panchromatic films for the interpositive and an orthochromatic film for the final enlarged negative.’
- ‘Yet her cultural frame of reference is also much broader, as the art satisfies the senses of a panchromatic, culturally diverse audience.’
- ‘I was also using panchromatic film, making ‘in-camera ‘separations, holding RGB filters in front of the camera lens for three exposures onto 3 separate pieces of black and white film.’’
- ‘Since most panchromatic films are considerably more sensitive to blue light than to red, blue objects will almost always appear lighter and brighter than red objects in a black and white photograph taken in white light.’
- ‘This is the same as if I'd shot the scene on panchromatic B & W film with a red filter.’
- ‘He refused to allow his actors to use makeup, an unheard-of conceit at that time but one made possible by the recent introduction of panchromatic film.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.