One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loaf baked in a pan or tin.
- ‘And don't even consider making Melba toast unless you have something better to work with than industrial pan loaf.’
- ‘Practically any bread can be used, from the simple white pan loaf to more ‘exotic’ breads like a ciabatta.’
- ‘They also turned out brown bread loaves and a biscuit loaf too, but it was that white pan loaf that took favour over all other loaves of bread.’
- ‘These confections were the stuff of dreams then, being a rarity in any ordinary household and only afforded on very special occasions. For us, the unsliced plain loaf with no wrapper and, once in a while, the softer pan loaf.’
- ‘Cait is presently looking for help to cut the pan loaves and make the sandwiches.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.