Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular or plural Large treeless plains in South America.‘the southern pampas of Argentina’
grassland, flatland, lowland, pasture, meadowland, open country, prairie, savannah, steppeView synonyms
- ‘But then, all the fish of these pampas and jungle rivers demonstrate a desperately tenacious grip on life that attests to millions of years of evolution in a savagely unforgiving arena.’
- ‘The pampas are vast flatlands of cattle and horse farms.’
- ‘The other side of the mountains, to the south and east, the pampas stretches all the way to the ocean.’
- ‘Roads penetrate deeper and deeper into what were once pampas, dense forests and marshland.’
- ‘Cattle would graze Appalachian pastures intensively and be rotated from paddock to paddock, just as grass-fed Argentine cattle graze on the South American pampas.’
- ‘A spending rebound is visible from middle-class neighborhoods of Buenos Aires to tourist spots and the agricultural provinces of the pampas.’
- ‘Its world wonders range from Andean peaks to Amazonian wilderness; from the endless horizons of the pampas to the awesome glaciers of Patagonia.’
- ‘Upland Sandpipers are long-distance migrants, spending the winter in the pampas of southern South America.’
- ‘Some might argue that, if I were a bird, I would not be able to enjoy my fantastic annual journeys, following the sun from perpetual daylight on the Arctic tundra to the pampas in Argentina and back again.’
- ‘Southward, in the centre of the country, lie the pampas - a vast region of high plains which supports some of the best agricultural and livestock farming in the world.’
Early 18th century: via Spanish from Quechua pampa ‘plain’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.