Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A solid saturated fatty acid obtained from palm oil and other vegetable and animal fats.
- ‘One possibility, mentioned above, is that the palmitic acid is preferentially localized in the outer monolayer of each bilayer in the profile.’
- ‘A common example is beeswax that is composed primarily of myricyl palmitate, formed by the reaction of palmitic acid with an alcohol.’
- ‘Levels of the potentially harmful saturated fat palmitic acid were also 26 percent lower than in the milk of conventionally fed cows.’
- ‘When this esterifies with only a vegetable fat-based palmitic acid, it is considered a halal vitamin A for milk fortification.’
- ‘Examples of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids are palmitic acid and linoleic acid, with 16 carbons and no double bonds, and 18 carbons with three double bonds, respectively.’
Mid 19th century: palmitic from French palmitique, from palme (see palm).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.