One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is supposedly able to predict someone's future by interpreting the lines on the palms of their hands.‘a palm reader told her she would have two children’
- ‘In his mentalist act, Steiner pretends he's an astrologer, a tarot card reader, a palm reader, or a psychic.’
- ‘There were wandering minstrels, jugglers, palm readers, and artisans selling every kind of homemade item you could think of.’
- ‘The key to a successful cold reading is the willingness, ability, and effort of the client to find meaning and significance in the words of the psychic, astrologer, palm reader, medium, or the like.’
- ‘Sister Charlotte, a crystal ball, tarot card and palm reader, claimed to be able to solve problems in love, marriage, business, exams and even immigration.’
- ‘"The palm reader said my husband would leave me."’
- ‘When her daughter wishes to marry Lord Arthur Savile, she hires palm reader Mr Podger to see what his Lordship's future holds.’
- ‘If a palm reader or soothsayer had collared me and told me what was to come, I would have giggled into their faces.’
- ‘We are all familiar with the palm readers who can tell how long you will live by the length of the life-line on your hand.’
- ‘He begins to question his raison d'être when an amateur palm reader tells him he has "murderer's thumb."’
- ‘In her extended commune with mediums, stage psychics, hypnotists, Tarot readers, mentalists, magicians, Indian swamis and palm readers, she became desperate for a Delphic moment of illumination.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.