One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Hawaii) a cliff.
- ‘Breakouts persist from the Kamoamoa tube system and feed surface flows above and on the pali.’
- ‘This is a closeup pali, and behind that are some faraway ones covered in clouds, and on the bottom there are some people walking into my picture.’
- ‘The fluted sea cliffs, or pali, rise like sentries straight up from the green valleys and white sand beaches below.’
An Indic language, closely related to Sanskrit, in which the sacred texts of southern Buddhism are written. Pali developed in northern India in the 5th–2nd centuries BC.
- ‘It has been influenced by Pali, the sacred language of southern Buddhism.’
- ‘He translates all the Dhamma and chanting from Sanskrit and Pali into Thai also.’
- ‘Some scholars claim that Pali was the language spoken in the Ujjain region which the Buddha is not recorded as having visited.’
- ‘As subsidiaries, we have Punjabi, Pali, Sanskrit, Tamil and Bengali.’
- ‘Our texts use Sanskrit, Pali and Tamil, but we do not know Tamil.’
- ‘He preached in Pali, the language of the common people.’
- ‘As in Thailand, Laos, and Burma, the language of Theravada Buddhist scriptures, Pali, often is studied by young men during temporary periods as monks and is an important influence on literary Khmer.’
- ‘In fact, Sanskrit and Pali have a larger literature in defence of atheism, agnosticism and theological scepticism than exists in any other classical language.’
- ‘They deliberately used Pali, the language of the common folk for their discourses, not Sanskrit.’
- ‘When it comes to translating, sometimes a key word is not translatable into meaningful English, and in such cases I have left it in its original Sanskrit or Pali.’
- ‘There he studied the Buddhist religion and learned to read and write Pali as well as Chinese and English’
- ‘Theravada Buddhism is based on the tripitaka, original teachings of the Buddha, written in Pali.’
- ‘Because Modern Indian history does not entail mastering Persian / Urdu or Sanskrit / Pali, the number of world-class historians in this field is considerable and growing.’
- ‘They were taught religion and the religious language of Pali by Buddhist monks.’
Relating to Pali.
- ‘Buddhists themselves refer to the teaching by the Pali term Dhamma (or in some schools of Buddhism by its Sanskrit equivalent dharma).’
- ‘This was a fine speech given as a spontaneous response to the issue that was raised during a talk given by a Pali scholar visiting Burma in the 1950's.’
- ‘The Vinaya, the compendium of monks' rules in the Pali canon, lists five ‘Reflections before Admonishing.’’
- ‘But the literature, Pali and Sanskrit, Buddhist and Brahmanical, shows that non-monarchical forms of government were omnipresent.’
- ‘What is more, the greatest loss has been inflicted on them by looting their libraries, which contained the treasures of Sanskrit, Pali and Farsi manuscripts.’
From Pali pāli(-bhāsā) ‘canonical texts’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.