One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Hawaii) a cliff.
- ‘Breakouts persist from the Kamoamoa tube system and feed surface flows above and on the pali.’
- ‘The fluted sea cliffs, or pali, rise like sentries straight up from the green valleys and white sand beaches below.’
- ‘This is a closeup pali, and behind that are some faraway ones covered in clouds, and on the bottom there are some people walking into my picture.’
An Indic language, closely related to Sanskrit, in which the sacred texts of Theravada Buddhism are written. Pali developed in northern India in the 5th–2nd centuries BC.
- ‘In fact, Sanskrit and Pali have a larger literature in defence of atheism, agnosticism and theological scepticism than exists in any other classical language.’
- ‘They were taught religion and the religious language of Pali by Buddhist monks.’
- ‘As subsidiaries, we have Punjabi, Pali, Sanskrit, Tamil and Bengali.’
- ‘Theravada Buddhism is based on the tripitaka, original teachings of the Buddha, written in Pali.’
- ‘Some scholars claim that Pali was the language spoken in the Ujjain region which the Buddha is not recorded as having visited.’
- ‘They deliberately used Pali, the language of the common folk for their discourses, not Sanskrit.’
- ‘As in Thailand, Laos, and Burma, the language of Theravada Buddhist scriptures, Pali, often is studied by young men during temporary periods as monks and is an important influence on literary Khmer.’
- ‘Because Modern Indian history does not entail mastering Persian / Urdu or Sanskrit / Pali, the number of world-class historians in this field is considerable and growing.’
- ‘It has been influenced by Pali, the sacred language of southern Buddhism.’
- ‘When it comes to translating, sometimes a key word is not translatable into meaningful English, and in such cases I have left it in its original Sanskrit or Pali.’
- ‘He preached in Pali, the language of the common people.’
- ‘Our texts use Sanskrit, Pali and Tamil, but we do not know Tamil.’
- ‘There he studied the Buddhist religion and learned to read and write Pali as well as Chinese and English’
- ‘He translates all the Dhamma and chanting from Sanskrit and Pali into Thai also.’
Relating to Pali.
- ‘But the literature, Pali and Sanskrit, Buddhist and Brahmanical, shows that non-monarchical forms of government were omnipresent.’
- ‘Buddhists themselves refer to the teaching by the Pali term Dhamma (or in some schools of Buddhism by its Sanskrit equivalent dharma).’
- ‘This was a fine speech given as a spontaneous response to the issue that was raised during a talk given by a Pali scholar visiting Burma in the 1950's.’
- ‘What is more, the greatest loss has been inflicted on them by looting their libraries, which contained the treasures of Sanskrit, Pali and Farsi manuscripts.’
- ‘The Vinaya, the compendium of monks' rules in the Pali canon, lists five ‘Reflections before Admonishing.’’
From Pali pāli(-bhāsā) ‘canonical texts’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.