One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A palatial building, especially in Italy.
mansion, stately home, hall, manor, big house, manor house, country house, castle, palaceView synonyms
- ‘Dotted all around it are perfect little palazzi and art deco buildings, and the city boasts broad pavements, palm trees, evening passeggiata, elegant bars and a vibrant cafe society.’
- ‘There's the neoclassical dining room with its frescoes depicting the country house of the palazzo's previous owners, the Baglioni family.’
- ‘Delano modeled his design on a seventeenth-century palazzo in Genoa, and the building was completed in 1909.’
- ‘Other palazzos too have marvellous things to offer but the Palazzo Fortuny is said to be the best of the lot.’
- ‘The form and scale of the building recalls ancient Venetian palazzi, but it is treated in a more abstract, contemporary fashion, with an emphasis on the flatness of the external surface.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.