One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural palazzos, Plural palazzi
A palatial building, especially in Italy.
mansion, stately home, hall, manor, big house, manor house, country house, castle, palaceView synonyms
- ‘Delano modeled his design on a seventeenth-century palazzo in Genoa, and the building was completed in 1909.’
- ‘Dotted all around it are perfect little palazzi and art deco buildings, and the city boasts broad pavements, palm trees, evening passeggiata, elegant bars and a vibrant cafe society.’
- ‘Other palazzos too have marvellous things to offer but the Palazzo Fortuny is said to be the best of the lot.’
- ‘The form and scale of the building recalls ancient Venetian palazzi, but it is treated in a more abstract, contemporary fashion, with an emphasis on the flatness of the external surface.’
- ‘There's the neoclassical dining room with its frescoes depicting the country house of the palazzo's previous owners, the Baglioni family.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.