One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an indigenous people of the northern Shan states of Burma (Myanmar).
- ‘The Allies supported Burmese guerrillas (largely composed of Kachins, Karens, Shans, Chins, Lushais, and Palaungs), who were able to wreak havoc behind Japanese lines.’
- ‘There are also significant numbers of Chin, Kachin, Kayah, Pao, Palaung, Lahu, Wa, and Rohingya.’
- ‘Many Palaung traditionally lived in multiple-family houses.’
- ‘Today, these structures are very rare, and most Palaung live in single-family houses.’
- ‘There are several settlements of Palaung near the Burmese border and several communities of Khmu, Phai, Mal, and Mlabri.’
2mass noun The Mon-Khmer language of the Palaung.
- ‘Palaung and Wa closely correspond with Khasi.’
- ‘Palaung is a language spoken by about 150000 people in the Shan States of Burma.’
Relating to the Palaung or their language.
- ‘The organization increases international and community knowledge of the Palaung people, their history and cultures.’
- ‘The Khasis have a unique linguistic family which is strictly connected with the Palaung Wa dialects spoken by the tribes.’
The name in Palaung.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.