Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The branch of geophysics concerned with the magnetism in rocks that was induced by the earth's magnetic field at the time of their formation.
- ‘From palaeomagnetism we can determine palaeolatitude and the rotation of a terrane through time, but the palaeomagnetic data give no insight into palaeolongitude.’
- ‘Conglomerate tests are applied to mechanically disaggregated clasts of a formation whose palaeomagnetism is under investigation.’
- ‘In an attempt to resolve this conundrum, we have carried out multidisciplinary research involving field studies, radiometric dating, geochemistry, palaeontology and palaeomagnetism.’
- ‘There are a variety of other terranes in Asia that we do not show on our maps, partly through lack of helpful faunas and palaeomagnetism and partly because of lack of consensus amongst other workers.’
- ‘In this paper we show that palaeomagnetism may offer the opportunity to indirectly solve this problem, and date the onset of the Tyrrhenian spreading.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.