A current which existed at some time in the geological past, as inferred from the features of sedimentary rocks.
- ‘The variability of palaeocurrents, however, suggests that the fault zone was not a major topographic feature and may have been below sea-level.’
- ‘The latter is more consistent with the southeasterly palaeocurrents of the Castlegate Sandstone.’
- ‘At 12 of the sites that have imbricated cobbles, clast orientations were measured to derive the palaeocurrent direction.’
- ‘Imbricated clasts indicate eastward palaeocurrents away from the metamorphic complex.’
- ‘The orientation of the Nye channels and sculpted forms and the palaeocurrent direction for the glaciofluvial deposits indicate westward ice flow.’